Gearing up for your next hiking trip? Learn about some of the best hiking pants you might want to buy before your trek into the outdoors.
Hitting the trail is a great way to get in shape, enjoy nature, and get some peace of mind away from the stresses of modern life. However, you can’t just throw on whatever clothes you have in your closet and start hiking. You need some good hiking pants that will keep you sheltered and remain durable in outdoor conditions. We’re here to help you choose a pair that’s right for you.
The Best Hiking Pants: Comparison Table
How We Reviewed
We looked online for the best hiking pants for both summer and winter and both men and women.
By looking at product information, reading customer reviews, and comparing prices, we’ve come up with a list of eight of the best pairs of hiking pants for your needs. We’ve tried to include a variety of brands as well so you can get something that might fit your budget.
Overall Price Range of Hiking Pants
A large factor in determining the price of pants is the brand name. You should expect to pay at least $ for a pair of high-quality hiking pants. At higher prices, you can expect to get longer-lasting and stronger fabrics.
With that said, here’s our list of the eight best pairs of hiking pants.
Review Of The Best Hiking Pants
We've included as even a distribution as possible between men's and women's pants. We also sought to list hiking pants suitable for summer and winter.
Marmot Arch Rock
The Marmot Arch Rock pants have strong, stretchable fabric that makes them perfect for rock climbing. The material also is lightweight and dries quickly. These are useful as men's summer hiking pants.
These pants are versatile with multipurpose fabric, and they have a strong gusseted crotch.
These pants are versatile with multipurpose fabric, and they have a strong gusseted crotch.
Columbia Men’s Royce Peak Pants
- CLASSIC PANT FIT: These lightweight and comfortable men’s pants are perfect for hiking, fishing, travel, or your favorite outdoor pursuit. They feature a 2-way comfort stretch design that provides a comfortable fit.
- COMFORTABLE AND RUGGED PANTS: The Columbia Royce Peak Pant Pants have been designed with a classic fit for the ultimate in comfortability while you're staying active outdoors.
- DESIGNED WITH ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: These men’s pants feature Columbia’s unique Omni-Shade UPF 50 fabric for maximum protection against the sun, and Omni-Shield advanced repellency.
- HANDY FEATURES: This men’s durable pant features one zip-closure security pocket, articulated knees and gusset details, which permits you to climb mountain peaks or hang out at the barbecue with maximum protection and comfort.
- OMNI-SHIELD: Go ahead, try and get dirty. Omni-Shield helps you stay clean and dry by resisting the absorption of liquids. Unlike most fabrics that absorb moisture, Omni-Shield repels moisture and dries quickly—avoiding stains and keeping you clean.
The most prominent feature of the Columbia Men's Royce Peak Pants are the articulated knees and gusseted crotch, making them resilient to use for rock climbing and dense forest walking. We also like the water-resistant fabric.
The pants contain one-zip closure security pockets so items can stay in place without falling out.
The lightweight fabric makes them an excellent choice for summer wear.
They can be a little hot. Because the fabric is water-resistant on both sides, sweating can be a problem at higher temperatures.
They’re also warmer than the Marmot Arch Rock.
Inbike Mens’ Winter Fleece
- Quick-dry moisture-wicking fleece pant is made of 100% polyester, high stretchy and breathability, soft and comfortable to wear
- Thermal and warmth locking. This winter warm trousers is windproof and somewhat waterproof, keeping you warm for fall or cold weather outdoor activities, such as cycling running jogging hunting or fishing
- High elastic waist band. The band at waist part is wide and of high elasticity, no worry about that it is too tight or loose to your body
- Reflective detail. Windbreaker pants add reflective logo and reflective stripes, increase visibility in low light and the security of night activity
- Patched design of this long thermal pant
Now that we’ve listed the best summer men’s hiking pants let's move on to the winter ones. These pants have a thermal lining that traps heat. Combined with the outer layer of fleece, this makes them ideal for spending time outdoors in colder weather, no matter what you're doing.
This pair of pants has an elastic waistband that makes it fit snugly to your body, rather than the standard button and zipper combination.
We think that these pants are more used for biking and designed with that in mind, but you can use them for hiking as well.
From what we can see, these pants don’t appear to have pockets.
The work best for short-distance travel only, which makes sense because you should avoid hiking too much in cold weather.
Nonwe Men’s Windproof Winter Hiking Pants
- Side elasticated waist.
- Press the button to closure, featuring multi-function zipper pockets.
- Comfy and stretchy fleece fabric keep warm in the deep winter.
- Water-resistant and windproof are ideal for winter outdoor camping, climbing, hiking, skiing, cycling.
- Washing: Machine/Hand wash cold, No bleach.
The Nonwe pants are made of fleece and polyester, allowing them to retain more of your body heat and protect you against biting winter winds. If you go hiking in cold weather, you’ll appreciate the dual fabric and the elasticated band.
These pants work well to keep out wind, and they have multiple pockets for storing your belongings on the trail.
Some customers reported them as standing up to -20-degree temperatures.
We wouldn’t advise this without some layering of clothing, such as thermal underwear.
The pockets could be more profound, and some customers reported that the sizing was confusing.
It might be a good idea to go up a size from what you wear typically.
MIER Women’s Convertible Cargo Pants
- Versatile Convertible Pants ---- Zip-off legs to easy convert these pants (average inseam: 31") into 9’’ inseam shorts, lightweight, packable, abrasion-resistant, breathable, wicks away moisture, and dries quickly for dry, cool comfort
- Water Resistant Cargo Pants ---- Constructed of nylon/spandex blend fabric with water resistant treatment to help resist light rain; 4-way stretch fabric and gusseted crotch offers mobility performance
- Adjustable Waistband ---- Sides elastic waist and removable webbing belt (original Duraflex buckle) for a personalized fit; Mid rise and straight leg cut, the regular fit allows enough room for action without excess bagginess
- 5 Multifunctional Pockets with YKK Zipper ---- Dual front and rear zipper pockets and one thigh zipper pockets offer plenty of space for on-the-go essentials; YKK zipper with cord pull for handy and long lasting
- Limited Manufacturer's Warranty -- TWO-YEAR for MIER nylon hiking pants. We stand behind our products. If a product fails because of a defect in material or the quality of workmanship, we will repair or replace it free of charge. MIER takes pride in the quality of our products and warrants that the materials and workmanship will be free of any defects. Our factories follow a strict set of specifications and quality standards, however, if a problem develops, please contact us
Unlike many of the pants we saw, this pair of pants can convert into shorts. If you’re hiking on a hot day and it’s too hot for pants, zip off the lower legs and make them into shorts. The nylon and spandex fabric blend also works well as water resistance for those inevitable splashes through a stream or puddle. The fabric also stretches four ways.
The fabric is water-resistant, at least to light rain or brief immersion, and the pants come with a removable belt.
You also get five pockets two front, two back, and one on the thigh.
Even though the MIER pants are for summer, the fabric can still run a little hot. It also tends to run short in the inseam.
Columbia Women’s Saturday Trail II
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Columbia Women's Saturday Trail Knee Pant features our signature water and stain repellent fabric for protection against harsh stains and liquids and UPF 50 to protect against harmful sun rays.
- HANDY FEATURES: Two side pockets with hook and loop closure and two back pockets are featured to secure your smaller items.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: A partial elastic waist and articulated knee provide adjustable comfort that allows for free movement
- CLASSIC FIT: This pant is crafted of a classic fit with our nylon and elastane 2-way stretch fabric and features articulated knees.
- OMNI-SHIELD - Go ahead, try and get dirty. Omni-Shield helps you stay clean and dry by resisting the absorption of liquids. Unlike most fabrics that absorb moisture, Omni-Shield repels moisture and dries quickly—avoiding stains and keeping you clean.
The most prominent feature of this pair of women's summer hiking pants is the elastane/nylon construction, making it difficult to get the fabric wet or dirty. However, we also like the unique design of the pockets. While many pants pockets lack any way of securing that isn't a zipper, these have a hook-and-loop enclosure to keep your items secure.
The pants are cut with an articulated knee, making it feel more natural against your leg than a straight-cut pair would.
We also like the Omni-Shield fabric treatment.
Even in dirty environments, these pants are easy to keep clean because stains don’t set in.
Some customers reported that the pants felt too tight, even though it later adjusted.
Bear this in mind whenever you hike; you want your clothing to feel comfortable.
We can’t attest to the strength of the fabric, so it might be better to use this for light hikes. Avoid climbing over rocky terrain.
Camii Mia Outdoor Fleece Pants
- Machine wash or hand wash
- Hiking pants with no stretch and 2 front slant pockets, 2 back pockets and 2 knee patches. Surface layer weather proof, inner layer fleece
- Great for Winter outdoor sports like camping & hiking, snow skiing, traveling, climbing, cycling, hunting and ect
- ATTENTION: It fits true to size. Slim fit design. If you want to be relaxed fit, you could go up a size
- Made in China
These women’s winter hiking pants are lined with fleece, making them extremely good at retaining heat. The outer layer is nylon, which, while strong, is also water- and wind-resistant.
Customers reported that the fabric is of exceptionally high quality, not to mention comfortable to wear.
The nylon-fleece hybrid was said to feel incredibly soft. The ability of the pants to prevent excess wind and moisture helps it to keep you warm on long winter hikes.
Wind chill can make the temperature seem to drop drastically.
The sizing chart can be inconsistent, so you may want to take advantage of the free return policy if the pants do not fit you.
Also, some customers reported that the pants rode too high on the waist. If you have long legs, this may lead to incomplete coverage./
Tornett Outdoor Fleece Ski and Hiking Pants
- Hiking pants:Surface layer water repellent breathable coating,Mid layer high-end fiber fabric,inner layer polar fleece
- Ski Snow Pants: waist allows pant to fit comfortably ,Slim fit hiking pants featuring adjustable waistband with belt,patckwork knees,steric knee darts and unique zippered cargo pockets on thigh part
- Waterproof pants: Zippered front pockets,Multi zipper pockets keep your phone,keys,credit cards and other personal belongings secure
- snowboard pants:Stereo line cutting,Stylish snow pants for women,perfect for winter outdoor activities like
- Stylish snow pants for women,perfect for winter outdoor activities like hiking,mountaineering,camping,skiing,snowboarding,climbing,ice sports
The most striking feature of these winter hiking pants is the abundance of pockets. Not only do you get the standard assortment of front pockets and rear pocket,s but you also get a zippered enclosure on the thigh.
The pants are made of multi-layered fabric with a soft shell to aid in keeping you warm in winter weather, but they can be used for mild spring or fall temperatures as well.
As mentioned, the multiple pockets make it easy to store your essential belongings.
We believe the Tornett pants are a sturdier construction than the Camii model.
Some customers said there was a problem getting the pants sized correctly.
Although there is a size chart, it only lists US-based sizes.
Pants that are made elsewhere may not correlate, so you have to be careful when picking these out.
When choosing hiking pants, you’ll need to know a few things about them to make an informed decision. The following questions are a few of the things you should learn about before purchasing the pants.
1. What Makes Good Hiking Pants?
The best hiking pants consist of lightweight fabric that’s quick to dry. This is one reason you don’t want to wear jeans on the trail: if they get wet, you can’t safely wear them because of the risks of hypothermia.
A good pair of hiking pants should also have more than two pockets for secure storage of items. Cargo pants, which convert from pants to shorts, are good as well.
2. Where Should I Go to Buy Good Hiking Pants?
You can buy hiking pants at virtually any sports apparel store. Notable outlets are Cabela’s, Patagonia, and Columbia.
Even if you don’t have any physical outlets nearby, you can order clothes online if you know your sizes. Just be aware of return policies in case it doesn’t fit.
3. What Should Hiking Pants Do that Normal Pants Don’t?
Hiking pants need to protect your legs from sharp thorns and branches, keep moisture and excess heat away, and still be able to breathe so your legs don’t get too hot.
They also need to be comfortable to wear for long periods without chafing.
4. How Much Do They Cost?
If you’re looking for a good pair, they aren't going to be cheap if you get them directly from the retailer. Many of the pants we looked at directly on their home sites carried price tags of at least $.
You might get lucky and snag a deal for $, so it could be in your best interest to monitor third-party sites.
After all, you're investing in high-quality gear. These pants are supposed to stand up to stress and last a long time.
Image via Freepik
For men's summer hiking gear, we think the Columbia Men's Royce Peak is a good option. Although these pants are slightly warmer than the Marmot Arch Rock, the price is somewhat lower, and the products are of similar quality based on our research.
or men’s winter gear, try out the Nonwe Men’s Winterproof pants we listed. They are of higher quality and more durable than the Inbike ones.
As for women’s summer hiking pants, our pick is the Mier Convertible Cargo Pants. We’re all about quality and versatility, and these pants offer both. Getting pants and shorts for the price of one is a great deal. Finally, for women’s winter pants, our choice is the Tornett Outdoor Fleece. These pants are warmer, sturdier, and have extra space for keeping your belongings.
Getting The Most Out Of Hiking Pants
The most efficient way to wear hiking pants is to treat them as only a single layer of clothing. If you’re going to be out in the wild for a while day and you don’t know how the temperature will change, you need to dress in layers.
Wearing layers of clothing provide the following benefits:
Care for your hiking pants the same way you would others. Make sure to follow the cleaning instructions to prolong the life of the fabric; otherwise, your pants will not last very long. Most pants made of nylon, polyester, or similar materials can be machine-washed under warm water. Double-check the tag to make sure.
When picking out the best hiking pants, the most significant factors you should consider are the environment in which you plan to hike, the material, and the durability of the pants. If you live in a cold climate, it may be best to pick a winter-specialized pair. For temperate or warmer climates, look for some cargo pants that can turn into shorts
Also, you should consider the color. If you regularly hike in hot weather, pick out pants that are lighter in color; if you do winter hiking, pick darker colors. Darker colors are better at absorbing heat.
If you’re looking to hit the trails and spend time outdoors, having the right pair of hiking pants can help. We feel that the list of the eight best hiking pants to keep your legs covered is an excellent place for you to get started on your journey.